You may change your Primary Care Manager (PCM) at any time as long as the desired PCM is accepting new patients and your request complies with local military hospital guidelines.

Request a change online

If you have selected a civilian PCM or you wish to change to another PCM within the military hospital, you can submit your request through Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE). Please remember that if you select the default date of six days in the future, the effective date of the change will be made retroactive to the date the request was submitted. Should you select a date other than the default date, your change request effective date will not be changed.

Request a change by mail

You also have the option to submit your request by mailing in a completed TRICARE Prime enrollment and PCM change form or by contacting a customer service representative. If you are mailing in your request, please note that you need to complete the sponsor section, the section related to the PCM change, the signature section and the Access to Care (ATC) section (if applicable). The change will become effective based on when the PCM change form is received.

Due to security settings, you may not be able to view the PCM change form in your web browser. If you encounter an issue viewing the form in your web-browser, right-click anywhere in the new browser window and select "Save as" to save to your computer. You can then open the form using your system's default program for viewing PDFs. You can also try accessing the form directly from the official DoD forms site.

Receive confirmation

Once your PCM change is processed, you will receive either an e-mail or postcard with instructions to access milConnect for the new PCM name and telephone number. All change requests are subject to the military hospital Commander guidelines. PCM changes are effective based on when we receive the request. Please do not seek services until you receive confirmation of the change.