When life changes for you and your family, your TRICARE health plan options may also change. These are known as Qualifying Life Events (QLE).
A QLE is a certain change in your life, such as marriage, birth of a child, or retirement from active duty, which may mean different TRICARE health plan options are available to you. A QLE opens a 90-day period for you to make eligible enrollment changes. A QLE for one family member means all family members may make enrollment changes. See what qualifies as a QLE
What should I do following a QLE?
- With any QLE, the first step is to update your or your family member's information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)
- Once your change shows in DEERS, you may make any eligible enrollment change
What happens if I don't take any action?
- If you remain eligible for your current health plan and wish to continue coverage following a QLE, you don’t need to take action.
- If you aren't already in a health plan and don't enroll in one, you'll only be eligible for care at a military hospital or clinic if space is available.
- When retiring from active duty, you must make an enrollment decision within 90 days of your retirement. If you don’t enroll in a health plan within the 90-day period, you’ll lose TRICARE coverage and may only be eligible for care at military hospitals or clinics if space is available.
Making enrollment changes when you have not experienced a QLE
If you and your family haven’t experienced a QLE, you can enroll in or make changes to your health plan during TRICARE Open Season.