TRICARE requires providers to file claims electronically with the appropriate HIPAA-compliant standard electronic claims format.
HIPAA transaction standards and code sets
- Providers must use the following HIPAA standard formats for TRICARE claims: ASC X12N 837—Health Care Claim: Professional, Version 5010 and Errata and ASC X12N 837—Health Care Claim: Institutional, Version 5010 and Errata.
- TRICARE contractors and other health care payers are prohibited from accepting or issuing transactions that do not meet HIPAA standards. To avoid cash-flow disruptions, it is imperative that providers use the HIPAA-compliant claims formats.
For assistance with HIPAA standard formats for TRICARE, call PGBA’s TRICARE Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) Help Desk at 1-800-325- 5920, menu option 2.
National Provider Identifier (NPI)
Providers must submit the appropriate NPI on all HIPAA-standard electronic transactions.
Other Health Insurance (OHI)
If the patient has primary OHI, TRICARE providers must still file their patients’ TRICARE claims. If the OHI benefits are exhausted, TRICARE becomes the primary payer. In some instances an additional referral/prior authorization may apply. Since OHI status can change at any time, always ask all beneficiaries about OHI, including National Guard and Reserve members and their families. Identify (OHI) in the claim form.
To identify OHI in the claim form:
- Mark Yes in Box 11d (CMS-1500) or FL 34 (UB-04)
- Indicate the primary payer in Box 9 (CMS-1500) or FL 50 (UB-04)
- Indicate the amount paid by the other carrier in Box 29 (CMS 1500) or FL 54 (UB-04)
- Indicate insured’s name in Box 4 (CMS-1500) or FL 58 (UB-04)
- Indicate the allowed amount of the OHI in FL 39 (UB-04) using value code 44 and entering the dollar amount