Billing and Enrollment
Billing Enrollment Eligibility

View billing summary and payment options in self-service

Through self-service, you can pay your current amount due, view your billing summary, make a one-time premium payment or set up automatic payments quickly and conveniently.

Enroll in a health plan

Online enrollment is easy using Beneficiary Web Enrollment (BWE)*. With BWE, you can make changes to your Primary Care Manager (PCM), pay enrollment fees and add Other Health Insurance (OHI) if applicable. 

*Prime beneficiaries may only enroll online if they live in a Prime Service Area (PSA). Please note that a Common Access Card (CAC)DFAS (MyPay) Account, or a DS Logon is required to log in to BWE. Find the appropriate electronic enrollment form if you are unable to proceed with BWE.

Be sure to confirm your eligibility and ensure your information is up-to-date by visiting the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) before enrolling.

Enroll online


Need help choosing a plan?

TRICARE offers a number of tools and resources to help you choose the right plan. Compare health plans to find out which one fits best for you and your family. You can also check out TRICARE costs, including copayments, enrollment fees and payment options.


Are you enrolling in TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS)?

Make sure you remove the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) from your DEERS profile.


Qualifying Life Event (QLE)

A QLE is a certain change in your life, such as marriage, birth of a child, or retirement from active duty, which may mean different TRICARE health plan options are available to you. A QLE opens a 90-day period for you to make eligible enrollment changes. A QLE for one family member means all family members may make enrollment changes.

With any QLE, the first step is to update your or your family member's information in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). Once your change shows in DEERS, you may make any eligible enrollment change.


What happens if I don’t take action during a QLE?

If you remain eligible for your current health plan and wish to continue coverage following a QLE, you don’t need to take action.

If you aren't already in a health plan and don't enroll in one, you'll only be eligible for care at a military hospital or clinic if space is available.

When retiring from active duty, you must make an enrollment decision within 90 days of your retirement. If you don’t enroll in a health plan within the 90-day period, you’ll lose TRICARE coverage and may only be eligible for care at military hospitals or clinics if space is available.

See what qualifies as a QLE

Verify your eligibility

TRICARE is a health program for Uniformed Service members and their families, National Guard/Reserve members and their families, Survivors, former spouses, Medal of Honor recipients and their families, and others registered in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

DEERS is a computerized database of active duty and retired service members, their family members and others who are eligible for TRICARE. Proper and current DEERS registration is key to getting timely, effective TRICARE benefits. Keeping DEERS up-to-date will prevent problems with claims and other healthcare benefits.

Dual eligibility

Dual-eligible beneficiaries under age 65 (retirees and their dependents who have Medicare Parts A and B) have TRICARE For Life (TFL) coverage but may elect to enroll in TRICARE Prime. Dual-eligible beneficiaries who are Active Duty Family Members (ADFMs) regardless of age, also have TFL but may elect to enroll in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Select.


View eligibility FAQs